When gambling online, there seems to be more blackjack variations than you can poke a stick at. Super 21 Blackjack is yet another of those, but with fun twists on classic blackjack gameplay that has made this variation one of the most popular online blackjack games (hence the reason it’s often called “Super Fun 21”). Players familiar with the rules of blackjack won’t have any problem adjusting to the the format of Super 21, while new players to the game will easily pick up the rules.
Super 21 can be played at many of our recommended online casinos for free in practice mode so you can get the hang of it before moving on to play for real money bets.
How to play Super 21
Like traditional blackjack, the aim of Super 21 is to make a hand with a total value that’s closer to 21 than the dealers hand but without exceeding 21.
Typically a standard deck of 52 cards excluding the jokers is used, however you can use one, two or six decks. Aces are valued at either one or 11 and face cards are valued at 10.
Bets are placed and the player is dealt two face down cards. The dealer is also dealt two cards but with one face up and one face down. The player looks at their cards and then has the option to hit (receive another card) or stand (decline additional cards). If the player goes over 21 they have bust and lose their wager, however if they hit a blackjack of 21 or their hand is closer to 21 than the dealer they win.
During gameplay, players also have the option to:
Double – you can double your bet after receiving your first two cards if you think your three card hand stands a better chance of beating the dealer.
Split – if the first two cards in your hand are of equal value, you have the option of placing another bet and splitting your cards into two separate hands. You can draw as many additional cards on each split hand as you like, except if you draw an ace, in which case you can only receive one more card.
Insurance – some online Super 21 games may offer the option of insurance, which occurs when the dealer shows a face-up Ace card. In this case you can choose to insure against the dealer by placing an additional bet of half of your initial wager. If the dealer has a blackjack, you are paid two to one on your insurance bet but if there is no blackjack you lose your insurance wager. Not all games offer insurance, so check with the terms of the game you are playing if this is an option you intend to use.
Surrender – some games also offer the option to Surrender. This means that at any time during the game you can abandon your hand and recover half of your wager, automatically losing the other half of your bet to the house.
What’s the difference between Super 21 and Classic Blackjack?
Although following the same gameplay format, the major differences between the rules of classic blackjack and Super 21 are as follows:
• Unlike classic blackjack which pays wins at three to one, Super 21 pays even bets (one to one)
• A blackjack consisting of diamond cards pays extra (two to one)
• The player wins if they have a hand with six cards or more with a total value of 20, regardless of the dealers hand. This is known as a ‘Six Card Charlie.’
• The player wins instantly with a hand of five or more cards totalling 21
• The players blackjack always supersedes a dealer blackjack
• Players can split hands up to four times, including on an Ace
• Players can double after a split
• Players can hit and double down to split aces
• The dealer hits on Soft 17
• Players can surrender on any number of cards and even after doubling
• If dealt an Ace and a ten or face card in a split, it is considered a “21” and not a blackjack
Betting & payouts in Super 21
Betting on Super 21 is dictated by the minimum and maximum betting limits of each game. You’ll generally find more leniency in betting amounts online than you will when playing Super 21 in a land based casino.
The pay scale in Super 21 is one of the main points of difference between this and classic blackjack. The difference in winnings balances out the generous rules of the game, giving the casino a better edge. Super 21 winnings are paid as follows:
• Blackjack – pays one to one
• Winning Hand – pays one to one
• Insurance – pays two to one
• Blackjack with Two Diamonds – pays two to one
• Six Cards with 20 Points or Less – pays one to one
• Five or More Cards for 21 Points – pays two to one
Strategy for Super 21
The strategies for winning Super 21 are generally the same as classic blackjack strategy. You can brush up on your blackjack strategy knowledge here.
The blackjack strategy unique to Super 21 is to try and take advantage of one of the special bets, like the five card 21 or Six Card Charlie. Aiming to win these bonuses will alter your blackjack strategy but are half the fun of playing the Super 21 variation of blackjack.